From: Karl Denning [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:29
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Adding buttons to the ProgressDlg

Sorry - I was trying to reduce the task to a minimal sentence because the
big
picture is fairly complicated, and I think will turn off most people.

Here goes....

The application relies on a database, which is unique per installation.
The database, although is not very large, takes 2-5minutes to build.

The database must exist before the application is executed.
The database _does_not_ need to be complete before the application is
executed.
The more populated the database is, the faster the application will perform.
The user should be given the ability to stop the CA that is generating the
database.
Stopping the CA must not cause a rollback (it is not the same as 'Cancel').

>From a usability perspective (perceived performance), it is preferential to
do the table crunching in the installer, than to offload it to the
application startup.  Assumption: people don't mind waiting for an
installation to complete, but they do mind waiting for an application to
start.

It's a user facing application, so must not look like a hack.
Is there a way to improve this design pattern?
(I'm trying to avoid writing a custom ui handler if I can)

Karl