Your application would have hold a "lock" on those PNG files that denies
"Delete" (via sharing mode) using its file handle until the application is
shutdown.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Kuhr [mailto:kustt...@gmx.li]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:45 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Files missing after major update - what am I doing
wrong?

Hello everyone,

new releases of my app are always installed with a major update and the old
version of the app is always uninstalled if the MSI for the new version
runs, just before the MSI of the new version does its work copying files,
creating registry entries and so on. Now if my app currently runs, it has
file handles open to files that are also installed via the MSI, those are
PNG files, in case this is important. Now if a new version of the app gets
installed while the old version is running and the old version is first
uninstalled, those PNG files cannot be deleted and are scheduled to be
removed after the next reboot (via PendingFileRenameOperations in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager). Now
the new version of my app is installed which brings the same PNG files, that
the old version had and after reboot they are now gone. So for the user it
seems like the freshly installed new version of my app is lacking the PNG
files that the old version had, just because the app was running (as the old
version) at the very moment, when the new version was installed. Obviously
the exe and DLL files of the currently running old version of the app are
moved to c:\Config.Msi\????.rbf and are then scheduled to be removed from
this location at the next reboot, but not those PNG files, they are
scheduled to be removed from the install directory. What is going wrong
here? What can be done so the PNG files are also moved to c:\Config.Msi as
an rbf file and then scheduled to be removed during reboot from there?

Or maybe I am doing sth entirely wrong? Any help appreciated,

--
Stefan Kuhr