Hi Rob,

Just some thoughts to it (even I never had the issue). Maybe they help:
On http://errordecoder.com/system-error-codes/3/code-1021.html I found
some points which could be from interest:
    * Device Driver Conflicts
    * Hardware Malfunction

Is it only one system where it occurs ? Hardware issues only with one
hardware device or with several ones?

Stupid but happened once to me: An internal NW Interface had some not
correct inserted memory which caused driver installation to fail in
not reproducible manner. As I didn't check I spent some days on that
issue...

Regards
Tobias