Hm interesting point. The term CD I hear for the first time. When I
understand it correctly this means to deploy to the customers as
frequent as possible.

Back to CI: Imho here the whole company (team) testing strategy should
be taken into account. One aspect of CI are short builds and some unit
tests to give fast feedback after check in.

But CI also means e.g. nightly builds where definitely Installation
should be considered. Here also some testing might be possible like
pushing the installation on virtual machines and run UI tests based on
the complete system. Also possible mixed strategies where e.g. every
10th check in scedules a complete build with test runs of the
installed applications on VMs.

Additionally WiX offers a great way to involve developers into
installation development. So they are able to maintain the
installation (or at least do common tasks) which helps for agile
development as they gain better understanding of installers. based on
this understanding it is easier to keep the installations up to
date...

Back to Windows Installer packages. Installation also should act like
in real world. For servicing installations I consider major upgrades
as best strategy with fewest possible erors. If that can be archived
with few effort in your CI I'd recommend that with major upgrade of
all previous installers.

Regards
Tobias