From: Francisco Gabriel Malbrán [mailto:fgmalb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:48 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] VC++ reditributable questions

Hello.

First: the context: WiX v3.5, Windows 7 Enterprise

I'm intending to install the VC++ 9.0 redistributable from it's msm as
described in WiX's official documentation page [0]
Yet, even when my msi size augments in the same size as the msm and I can
see with Orca entrances related to the msm, I think it does not get
installed.

What I've done in my code is:
<!-- VC++ redistributable dependence -->
<DirectoryRef Id="TARGETDIR">
      <Merge Id="VCRedist"
SourceFile="$(var.DependencesDir)Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm" DiskId="1"
Language="0"/>
</DirectoryRef>

<Feature Id="VCRedist" Title="Visual C++ 9.0 Runtime" AllowAdvertise="no"
Display="hidden" Level="1">
        <MergeRef Id="VCRedist"/>
</Feature>

The code compiles and throws some warnings as expected and detailed in the
documentation. It does however, throw some other errors[1] but I've searched
the web and found that these are also expected from using mergemod.dll[2]

Whenever installing, however, I can't find any evidence that the VC++
redistributable package has been installed. I don't find it in Add/Remove
programs. I don't find registry keys associated with it. Etc.
1. Is this the correct way to check?
2. What can I do if in fact, the package is not being installed? (I need
some hint on where to look now)

Thanks in advance.

[0]
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/install_vcredist.htm

[1]
light.exe(0,0): warning LGHT1076: ICE82: This action
SystemFolder.21022.08.Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.RTM.0138F525_6C8A_333F_A105_14AE030B9A54
has duplicate sequence number 2 in the table InstallUISequence
1>light.exe(0,0): warning LGHT1076: ICE82: This action
SystemFolder.21022.08.Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.RTM.0138F525_6C8A_333F_A105_14AE030B9A54
has duplicate sequence number 2 in the table AdminUISequence
1>light.exe(0,0): warning LGHT1076: ICE82: This action
SystemFolder.21022.08.Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.RTM.0138F525_6C8A_333F_A105_14AE030B9A54
has duplicate sequence number 2 in the table AdvtExecuteSequence

[2]
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/ICE82-Warnings-from-duplicate-sequence-number-created-from-lt-Directory-gt-elements-using-Merge-Modus-td687752.html
Particularly:
*Duplicate* *sequence* *numbers* are not a problem as long as you don't
need *the*
order of *the* CustomActions to be consistent.  *These* type 51
CustomActions'
order relative to each other shouldn't be important.

Also, this is not a light.exe issue.  *The* behavior you are seeing is from
mergemod.dll provided by *the* Windows *Installer* SDK.

--
Francisco

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X
7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within
the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
recept...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject
to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).