Hi Phil,

there was a ongoing discussion about the topic and think somebody used
another subject and therefore googlemail started a new "thread". There
is some additional information.

Regarding the VCredist I think that could be an alternative option to
the merge modules as stated in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235316.aspx . The ongoing
discussion in the Follow-Up thread includes some statements about both
ways (Merge modules and VCRedist.exe). Uninstall: When installing the
VCredist I don't care about uninstall and leave it installed like I
think all vendors do. Think there exists also a comment in appwiz.cpl
in one of the columns not to uninstall it. It just stays permanent as
these installers have no "shared counter" concept.

Same do other vendors like e.g. Microsoft (Visual Studio as example)
do it with parts of their applications as uninstall might become too
complex...

Regards,
Tobias