Hello folks,

as I did not get any answers to my last question, I try to be more precise
today.

I want to make an Installer with burn, that installs quite a big application.
So there are different things to do, like just install some files, copy some
files around, initiating a database and so on. Now I need to plan an update
strategy before I actually start working on implementing the installer. As far
as I know today, a major upgrade always deletes all elements which are related
with the given Upgradecode. So that is in fact sometimes a problem. I have some
formular templates which are copied to a different location after installation
(with copyfile-Tag). So are those formular copies also uninstalled during a
major upgrade? If so, is there a way to prevent them from being uninstalled? As
customers can change the copies the update should not delete their work... only
the new default formulars should be shipped...

Another thing that gets me stuck is executing a script for database
modification. Assuming I have a version 1.0.0 and some further versions like
1.0.1, 1.0.2, and so on. My plan is to build a full installer and an update
installer for each version. But of course the update installer should be
running on every customer machine that has a version prior to the current one.
But how can I tell burn not to execute all database scripts but only those
needed based upon the current version? For example a client has the version
1.0.1 (no matter if he fully installed at that version or made already an
update from 1.0.0). Now the current version is 1.0.2. If he launches the
current update installer, it should only execute the db-update-script that is
needed in order to transform 1.0.1 db to a 1.0.2 db. But of course the
db-script for transforming a 1.0.0 to a 1.0.1 is also bundled within the
installer, as other customers might still stay at the 1.0.0. I definitely do
not want to ship x different update installers for x existing program version
that must be executed in a special sequence... so how can I achieve that goal?

I hope you can help me with that issue :)

Greetings,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Christian Hausknecht
Entwicklung

BeraCom
Beratung und Software-Entwicklung GmbH & Co. KG
Weidestr. 134, 22083 Hamburg
T: +49 (0)40 547 241 - DW
F: +49 (0)40 547 241 - 60
M: chauskne...@beracom.de<mailto:chauskne...@beracom.de>
http://www.beracom.de

Kommanditgesellschaft: Sitz Hamburg, RG Hamburg, HRA 90932
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: BeraCom Beratung und Software-Entwicklung
GmbH
Sitz Hamburg, RG Hamburg, HRB 64844
Geschäftsführer: Arno Schaefer, Britta Kahlfuss
Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich und exklusiv für den/die Adressaten bestimmt.
Weiterleitung oder Kopieren, auch auszugsweise, darf nur mit ausdrücklicher
schriftlicher Einwilligung des Absenders erfolgen. In jedem Fall ist
sicherzustellen, dass keinerlei inhaltliche Veränderungen erfolgen. Der
Absender ist von der Richtigkeit dieser Mail zum Zeitpunkt ihrer Erstellung
überzeugt. Er und/oder sein Unternehmen übernimmt jedoch keine Haftung für ihre
Richtigkeit.