Are you not specifying the build configuration you wish to build?

-----Original Message-----
From: john.burak [mailto:john.bu...@telvent.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:08 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] In .wixproj, default Build Configuration ignored or
not settable?

This is an old thread, but I finally got around to figuring out an answer.
There may be a Votive bug, or a VisualStudio bug/feature. Maybe you guys can
tell me.

When you fire up VisualStudio (I'm using 2010) and hit Build/F6 it does not,
per se, build the Default Build Configuration (the one that builds when running
msbuild from command line).  It builds whichever configuration comes first in
the UI drop-down, based on whatever sorting that uses.  You'll want to delete
your .suo file to verify this, because it saves the last used build
configuration.  On a fresh source-control checkout, or after deleting
unversioned files, the .suo file doesn't exist, so it's important that the
default configuration be what we expect.

In my case, "Debug SU" (note the space) builds by default because it comes
before "Debug" in the list.  If I remove the space, then "DebugSU" comes after
"Debug", and Debug builds first.  In either case, command-line msbuild builds
Debug.

I did try adjusting the order of things in the .sln file and it didn't make a
difference. This does appear to be based on UI sorting.

It seems like it should build the Default Build Configuration - the same as
when building via command line - when I launch the IDE and hit Build.
Should I log a Votvie bug about this, or do you think it's VisualStudio's doing?

Thanks,

- John Burak