I feel your pain. Over the years I have used lots of install technologies,
installShield (script and windows installer), wise (script and windows
installer), inno setup, plain batch files, custom exes, NSIS etc, etc. The only
one that has provided me with a 100% reliable installation is windows installer
- WIX is just a method for creating Windows Installer files. I would agree that
it is not the simplest tools to learn but that is because installing on Windows
is not simple, you could argue that is the problem. Inno is really good, I have
got reasonable results very quickly but there are issues. Your choice is script
based installer (Inno etc) vs a database of installation tasks (Windows
Installer).

For me the reason for using WiX to create Windows Installer files are: text
source (good for version control), easy integration to build tools, no
licencing issues (a lot of companies don't get build servers), and Microsoft
recommend it and use it. Downside, a lot to learn but a lot of that is a
Windows Installer issue not WiX.

At the end of the day it is your choice but if you ask the question here I
suspect most people would recommend WiX (mind you it is like trying to find a
vegan in McDonalds!). If you can invest the time you will get a better install
experience with Windows Installer but you have to be prepared to invest that
time, far too many developers/PMs believe installers are just a trivial bit at
the end - as Rob's tag line says "because setup isn't just xcopy". This is bit
trite but if I ruled the development teams I would write the install first and
then do the boring application development bit :-)

Neil