From: Christopher Painter [mailto:chr...@iswix.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:25 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.; General discussion
for Windows Installer XML toolset. (wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net)
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] I have heard that MSI is too complicated from a
programmer's prospective

MSI is complicated.  Setup is complicated.  There is a learning curve but once
you nail it, it's easy for your users.

The key to MSI is that it's declarative (functional programming), transactional
and has standardized support for upgrades, patches, uninstall, repair, silent
and so on.  Learn how to do all this and you can crank out massively complex,
scalable installers with very low defect rates.

Try to do that in any procedural (Wise, InstallScript, PowerShell, VBScript,
.BAT, NSIS, Inno,  whatever..)  language and you'll quickly find yourself with
tomes of buggy code and inconsistent installation behavior.

I did the latter for 6 years before switching to MSI.  I've been doing MSI for
10 years.  You can take what I say to the bank.