Thanks for the replies.

> You can use MsiSetTargetPath() in your custom action to update an existing
> directory Id. That would more closely model your intent and requires less
> code.

Good point, that's another option. I have been looking at what was done in
the WixQueryOsDirs custom action - there they used secure public properties
rather than MsiSetTargetPath. I don't know why - maybe because that extension
defines about 20 different paths, most of which wouldn't be used in a
particular installer?

Pete