Hi,

In my installer, I have the user enter a domain/user/password combination
at the beginning which is then used as the user account to run an
application pool in IIS. This combination of domain/user/password is then
later impersonated as part of a custom action, which runs an executable to
handle some other application specifics before the installer finishes.

This custom action fails, however, unless I run the installer from a
command prompt that was launched with administrative privileges. After some
investigation, we've found that this is because the msi that's executed
from the administrative command prompt extracts CA's to
C:\Windows\Installer\, which means the impersonated user can read the
files; when the msi is executed from a normal prompt, or the GUI, CA's are
extracted to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\ (or somewhere around
there), meaning the user that's being impersonated doesn't have permission
to the folder, and therefore an exception is thrown.

Is there any way to either control where the CA is extracted to, or to work
around this issue? Not impersonating the user isn't an option,
unfortunately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe