From: József Koloszár [mailto:j...@erad.com]
Sent: 08 May 2013 11:51
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] upgrade mysteriously installs older file version

hi all,

it's been a while, which means wix has worked great for us for a long time
now, but just recently we've hit a weird one:

we're providing regular upgrades packaged as msi's bootstrapped in an exe.
(the exe places the msi into windows temp, and invokes the lib equivalent of
msiexec /i blahblah.msi reinstall=all reinstallmode=vamus. (product and
upgrade codes are persistent across version, we change the package id -
there's only one package... and this has worked for years now).

we've recently started seeing incidents (on win7 mostly), where running the
installer of newer version would not replace files with the newer versions
contained in the msi. details: suppose msi version 1.1 of the product was
installed, which correctly deployed version 2.4 of file blahblah.exe to the
program folder. trying to install version 1.2, which contains v2.5 of
blahblah.exe (with the proper upgrade options mentioned above), the installer
runs (interactive ui clicked through with nexts) displays all the usual
(removing existing, copying new files, publishing product...), but in the end
the program folder still contains v2.4 of blahblah.exe.
- a restart does NOT help
- files and their versions are verified (used orca to make sure), double and
tripple checked.
- also did all tests manually (through msiexec command line), same results.
- we can't pin the behavior to specific versions or specific workstations, it
just happens. we've reproduced by going through versions, and at some point
it would just happen, not always between the same versions.
- even if i manually delete v2.4 exe and then run the 1.2 installer that
should deploy v2.5, from some magical cache winstaller still manages to
conjure v2.4 instead. it's mind numbing
- of course manually uninstalling the older version before installing the new
one works, but is not an acceptable workaround (ad deployment, grumpy users,
etc...)

any thoughts on what could be causing this? what are we missing? where to
look?

thanks to all in advance.

cheers,

joe
-
Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the
definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. This 200-page
book is written by three acclaimed leaders in the field. The early access
version is available now.

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.