I've had this happen to me on pre-WiX projects. What was wrong in my case is I
did not up the AssemblyKeyFileVersion-attribute (or what it's called again) in
the AssemblyInfo.cs of the project for the DLL that wasn't replaced. I'd
upgrade only the AssemblyVersion, and found out the Windows Installer does not
use AssemblyVersion but it uses the AssemblyKeyFileVersion (if that was its
name.)  Today, I always update both version-attributes. I do it manually, which
is a bit of a pain, and I do at least the minor version one step up for each
production release while beta-testers are instructed to Add/Remove Programs and
delete the folder before installing a beta-version. The reason I up the minor
version is I can't remember if it's build or revision that wasn't used when
looking for what files to replace, but it does ignore one of the two, so better
safe than sorry.