You can make a patch bundle show up in "View install updates". I think it's
the Update element child of Bundle that does that. Also, Burn does a lot of
stuff to ensure the MSP is applied correctly to all products it targets.
Just double clicking on an MSP doesn't guarantee the same.

Basically, I think we're moving to a world where shipping a naked MSI or
MSP to the world just doesn't work well. Or rather it never worked well and
with Burn you get all sorts of added functionality that makes things work
much, much better.  Of course, handling GPO deployments that require
straight MSI/MSP is a remaining sticking point... haven't quite solved that
smoothly yet.