Just to clarify, I'm not setting the m_fPrereq variable.  I was just stepping
through the code to learn how it works, and I can see that m_fPrereq is set
to zero in the constructor of the class, but under WinDbg I can see that it
unexpectedly changes in the call to LoadBootstrapperBAFunctions(); (and
there is not BAFunction.dll defined in my project), and that the next
if-else block is not executed as I expect which would seem to indicate a
problem to me.  It is just something I observed while stepping through the
code.

In the mean time Neil let me know that I had not added a
<bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication /> element to my project and I will
make that change.  I will then step into the code to see if this observation
still exists.