There are disadvantages to using this mixed approach.  Chief among them is that
you inherit SqlScript/SqlString's limitations on default instances if SQL
browsing is disabled.  I've tested and SqlPackage does not have this
limitation.  That being said, we do have a mix (particularly to implement ALTER
RECOVERY SIMPLE), but we're always moving to merge them back into the main
package.

Whenever possible, I recommend doing both the schema and data deploy with one
method.  If you're going to use SqlPackage to deploy the schema, it's not that
much harder to have it deploy the default data too.  In fact, the schema code
runs for us only if:  1) the database doesn't exist; or 2) the schema has
changed and can be safely updated.  The default data runs only if the data is
missing or the scripts decide it is corrupt.  We also hae a bunch of scripts
run during the package deploy to set roles, logins,  and grant permissions.

In fact, a lot of these scripts are common to are databases and are shared
among.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer - ESA