Interesting... does it not work with removing the quotes from
"[$(var.linkDest)]"' ? btw... I copied your line and there is an extra '
after "[$(var.linkDest)]". I pasted it in notepad and saw it more clear.

Check this out.

http://www.windows7home.net/how-to-create-symbolic-link-in-windows-7/

use runas if you need to really need to rock the cmd.exe

C:\>runas /user:<localmachinename>\administrator cmd.exe /c mklink /D
some_link_name  some_directory_path

C:\>runas /user:<DomainName>\<AdministratorAccountName> cmd

ref from: C:\>runas /user:<DomainName>\<AdministratorAccountName> cmd

cheers

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Scott Palmer <swpal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone show me code that can successfully do it?
>
> I tried:
>
> <CustomAction Id='Mklink' Directory="myDir"
>                       ExeCommand='[SystemFolder]cmd.exe /K mklink /D mylink
> "[$(var.linkDest)]"' Execute="deferred" Impersonate="no" />
>
> <InstallExecuteSequence>
>             <Custom Action="Mklink"
> Before="InstallFinalize">$needALinkForThisComp=3</Custom> <!-- runs at
> install of that Compoent Id -->
>
> </InstallExecuteSequence>
>
> I'm running on Windows 7
>
> The cmd window that pops up (titled: "Administrator:
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe") indicates that the System user doesn't have
> permission to make a symbolic link (thanks Microsoft!):
> "You do not have sufficient privilege to perform this operation."
>

> Thanks,
>
> Scott

"They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them
feel." -- Anonymous