On the privilege issue, something that might be relevant: the msiexec
process doesn't have every available privilege, by which I mean they
are really not there, as distinct from privileges that may be there
but are disabled. Somewhere in the docs there is a list of the msiexec
process rights, and if creating a symlink requires an absent right
then it can't propagate to a custom action.
Phil Wilson