I want to thank Bob and Phil for the interaction and suggestions, and the Wix
contributors for the Wca library.  I reevaluated what I was trying to do and
found that by calling WcaIsPropertySet("System64Folder")  I was able to
detect the platform (x64 or x86) from within my CA.  I had originally tried
to create a dismapi application but ran into too many roadblocks to use that
approach.

1) The dismapi sample programs would not compile on my vs2010/Win 7
development system, even with the ADK and the Win 8.1 SDK installed and
pointed at in the sample projects.  My CA project got the same errors.
2) The dismapi is only distributed on Win 8 or later.  To use a dismapi
application on Win 7 (which is where I need to install NetFx3) a customer
must install the ADK first.  (The ADK or the dismapi.dll related files do
not appear to be redistributable.)

So while calling an API is prefered, I reverted to calling dism.exe.  On
Windows 8 or later I found that calling 'fondue.exe /enable-feature:NetFx3
/hide-ux:all' was simpler than calling dism.exe, as it handles the scenario
where the payload has been removed and dism.exe throws and error.

Thanks.