>>Torch for generating
transform + apply that transform...

This is where I had the problem.  I created the two msi packages (a and
a.modified) and I created the transform (brand.mst).  The difference between
the two MSI packages was that I used Orca to extract and then import a
changed Icon from the Binary table, using the same ID as the original Icon
in the binary table.  I also replaced a couple of non versioned config and
png files.  There was no change to ProductCode or Version.  When I tried to
use Torch I had problems, not sure which -t switch to use.  I tried -t
instance since this is not a language transform.  I wast sure how to resolve
those issues so I used:
msitran.exe -g "%origImage%" "%newImage%" "brand.mst"

Then on the command line when initially installing MSI A on a new PC, I
included TRANSFORMS=brand.mst.  The log indicated that the mst was processed
but the files were not changed.

For now I have set the issue on the sidelines to work on another issue, but
I am interested in returning to the problem and figuring out how to apply a
simple change in an icon file or about screen graphics to an existing
third-party Installshield MSI based setup.   (I also use Torch to create
language transforms and apply them in this way which is working nicely,
thanks to the contributions of the Wix folks.)

I appreciate the suggestions.