The upgrade is an uninstall of the old product, using the VS setup, so
if it's true that the VS setup is removing files when it uninstalls
then there really isn't much you can do. That uninstall will do what
it does, and it looks like it makes no differentiation between being
uninstalled and being upgraded (when it would presumably leave data
behind). Avoiding RemoveExistingProducts won't solve that problem.

Depending on where you sequenced RemoveExistingProducts and how you
built your new MSI file you'll get a variety of results. VS setups
don't expose component guids, so if your new setup doesn't have the
same guids for the same files and registry items then REP sequenced at
the end will not work reliably. If that's the case, your best bet is
to sequence REP early so it removes the old product first and then
installs the new one. That will get you a clean upgrade. As Rob says,
why avoid that? It won't solve your problem with removed files if the
old uninstall is determined to uninstall them. That would need a
program to run before your upgrade and locate and save the data files
somewhere.
Phil Wilson