You might be misunderstanding "check for modified dates". The absolute
values are irrelevant. There is no "later version" based on later
dates. An unversioned file will not be overwritten if its modified
date is different to its creation date, no matter what the values are.
Windows Installer will set modified and creation dates the same at
install time so it can see that the file has been altered.

Phil Wilson