On 17/11/2013 13:44, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 at 11:45:23 +0100, "Rodolfo García Peñas (kix)" wrote:

>>> Please send the patches to the mailing list.
>>
>> But, If I sent the patches to the mail list, nothing changes.
>
> What do you mean by nothing changes?

Nothing. My english is too bad, but you cannot understand the difference
between "you" and "we". Your project, our project.

> When you send the patch to the mailing list many more people see it
> and are able to comment on it just by replying a plain text email
> (that's why the patches must be in the body of the email).
>
> That's the purpose of a development mailing list!
>
>>> I thought the idea with github was to have a bug tracking
>>> system, not that one could make the visibility of patches lower.
>>
>> If github is only a BTS, we don't use the code review
>
> Code review is easy to do over email, that's how things have always worked
> with many open source projects.
>
> I think having the repo in github is a good idea only because John
> never set up a BTS in www.windowmaker.org.

<ironic mode on>kill John!!<ironic mode off>

>> nor have our repos for other ideas.
>
> Why not? Everybody here in the mailing list have their own repos already
> in their own machines, that's the nature of distributed development.
> They develop their own ideas and then send patches, and most of this
> happens in the privacy of their own machines.

Because my local repo is mine and nobody can see it?!

> _If_ they want to have their ideas in the open, they can have their own
> repos in github or anywhere else. But that is independent of whether the
> main wmaker repo is in github or not.

Yes, I understand the idea. My code therefore is there.

https://github.com/thekix/wmaker

I will upload my work there. If you think my code is ok for *your*
project, include it.

> So this argument does not make sense to me.
>
> Furthermore, I noticed in your patches that I'd like to fix some typos
> in the commit logs and to include the WPrefs: prefix in the patch
> that touches only WPrefs. That will make your repository no longer be
> in sync with mine after I do that.

Yes, my main problem is typos in the commit logs. Other people send
patches without commit. It's my fault.

> For that reason I would think that developing in your own temporary
> branches (that are later discarded) is more efficient, but everybody
> has their own workflows and it's ultimately their decision. But again,
> that is independent of whether the main wmaker is in github or not.
>

>>> Patches belong to the mailing list for everybody to see.

I will work in the Debian wmaker package. I will report new bugs here,
in the mail list, because "That's the purpose of a development mailing
list!"

Thanks and bye.
Rodolfo (kix).