My comment: Since some decades ago we are living the rise of a new
civilization. I date its birth in October 1973 and its inception in
1968. But I do not plan to dispute dates. I just dispute what this
new
civilization is about.

Climate change is just one among many reasons. With or without
climate
change we, humankind, have to change our patterns and behaviours.
Because infinite growth is not posible in a finite planet. That is a
fact, not an option.

Once societies reach a certain level of welbeing, the top priority
has
to be sustainability. That is  not an option, it is responsibility
toward humankind and toward their own citizens.

Infinite growth is not posible in a finite planet. Somehow, humankind
understands that principle by itself. It seems to be part of our DNA.
At a certain level of development population starts its decline.
Births are below decease level even while life expectancy lasts
longer
and longer. Yet we have not seen its sustainable level in any
country,
we have to expect that decline stops a point that may grant social
and
economic sustainability.

Global scarcity of commodities to satisfy demand is a global trend.
Efficiency in its use, recycling, smart consumption, etc. are not
just
good, they are the top priorities and technologies to make it real
the
top technologies in the near future. It is not an option.

Peace and best wishes.

Xi

China restricts production of two minerals over reserve, environment
concerns
http://english.gov.cn/2010-01/03/content_1502106.htm

China has begun to restrict the mining and production of refractory
clay and fluorite over concerns about reserve decrease and
environmental pollution, said the General Office of the State Council
in a notice.

The government would implement comprehensive measures, which involve
taxation, production planning management, industry entry standards
and
export policies, for the restriction.

Land and resources authorities would enhance efforts to address
problems in refractory clay and fluorite mining, and would not accept
applications for new prospecting and mining projects starting from
Jan. 2.

The central government ordered authorities to promote industrial
restructuring, close down backward production facilities, and
implement strict industry entry regulations to avoid blind
investments.

The notice says the industry entry standards for refractory clay and
fluorite enterprises would be published on March 1 this year with
immediate effect.

The notice also calls for intensified customs efforts to crack down
on
smuggling and supervision on refuse ore treatment.

The government plans to raise the rate of resource tax on the two
minerals.