On 05/04/2010 08:13 AM, heiko.hel...@horiba.com wrote:

 > <install cmd="..." />
 >
 > <upgrade cmd="..."/>
 > <upgrade inherit="install"/>

I love this idea - this would save lots of copy/paste and
"s/<install/<upgrade/g", make the xmls easier to read and maintain.

It seems like a very interesting proposal! (And cutting down on maintenance burden is a *big win*.)

In fact, the only "problem" I can think of with this solution is that I'll be adding:

<downgrade inherit="upgrade"/>

To all of my packages. (I wonder if XSLT can help this case? Templates really are perfect for this kind of "boilerplate" that you really shouldn't have to manage everywhere.)

The inherit attribute should be the easy part, though.