Alex,

I don't know that I'm the best person on this list to respond to this,
but I do think it asks for a response, and I'm not sure anyone else
will, so I'll take a whack at it.

I see a lot of spirit in a lot of what I see, here. So, you and I must
have different notions of perceptible spirit.

There's a known problem in the search for extraterrestrial life that
basically boils down to: we are limited in our search by the limits of
our imagination of what constitutes life--and our imagination is in no
small part limited itself by the limits of what we can perceive.

We wouldn't know a 9th dimensional crystalline nano-second-long
civilization if it whacked us on the nose. Because we're looking, for
the most part, for carbon based life forms that are visible within our
pretty narrow range of perceptible reality. Heck, even the bugs in
science fiction movies are humanoid.

A lot of what happens here, on this list, are attempts to broaden the
imaginable. And humans are stubborn, so sometimes it's useful to apply
the spirit of the 12 pound maul instead of the spirit of the ball peen
hammer. I feel it's important work because, as Oliver Wendell Holmes
said, "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its
original dimensions." The spirit present here is the spirit of
expansion. Expanding what poetry is, rather than limiting it to slight
variation on what has been.

The fact that much of it could have been made by something other than
a man, and yet the reader still pleads to belong to some form of human
connection is very much the point of some of it, I imagine. I am
reminded of the Rumi that Barks has translated:

Love Dogs

One night a man was crying,
            "Allah, Allah!"
His lips grew sweet with the praising,
until a cynic said,
         "So! I have heard you
calling out, but have you ever
gotten any response?"
The man had no answer for that.
He quit praying and fell into a confused sleep.
He dreamed he saw Khidr, the guide of souls,
in a thick, green foliage,
            "Why did you stop praising?"
"Because I've never heard anything back."

"This longing you express
is the return message.

The grief you cry out from
draws you toward union.

Your pure sadness that wants help
is the secret cup.

Listen to the moan of a dog for its master.
That whining is the connection.

There are love dogs no one knows the names of.
Give your life to be one of them."

Mevlâna Jalâluddîn Rumi
Translated by Coleman Barks

The reader's attempt to connect *is* the return message.

And some of what you read here, on this list anyway, is certainly
machine-assisted and occasionally even completely machine generated
(after the setting of some initial state + algorithm). Because there's
a very real, vital, current, and necessary exploration of human
poetics going on through the process of making a serious run at
developing a machine poetics. Almost every form of art but nude
interpretational dance is employing some form of technology, the
differentiations are by degree. And all employed technologies affect,
necessarily, the work produced by their use.

As for only poets writing poems, I think that it's impossible for a
poem to be written by any entity other than a poet. In the context of
the rest of your comments, it reads more like what you intend to say
is that the only poems that should be written are the poems written by
poets who are writing to suit your sensibilities. I think you will
find very little of that on this list, since a process of challenging
sensibilities is what's being explored, directly and intentionally, by
many who post to this list.

I don't think the thousand-year-old tree is in any need of
RE-claiming. It's never been abandoned. It's been pruned, had initials
carved into it, been photographed, had seedlings cut from it, been
replanted, houses tree-forts, been gene-spliced, and is currently
bearing never-before-imagined, lush, wild and delicious fruit the
likes of which the world has never known. Some of it tastes awful and
bitter. Some of it is hallucinogenic. Some of it lights chocolate on
fire if you try to dip it. Some of it looks just like a Bartlett pear
but tastes like the number 5, some of it jiggles when you play Mahler,
some of it has a half-life that is too short to register on any
equipment made today, some of it blooms in the mind of those who eat
it only years after its been forgotten, some of it cries itself to
sleep for weeks if you look at it sideways. All of it says "I am
poetry" and forces you to agree or disagree, and in so doing impinges
itself upon any poetics that is open to developing.

Regards,
Dan