And plafond can be sculpture.

Subject or ornamental
designated by the term
"Plafond."

Picturesque plafonds
executed directly
on plaster.

(in technique of fresco
in technique of oil
in technique of glutinous
in technique of synthetic paints)

on a canvas attached to a ceiling is a mosaic, and other methods
on a (panel) under the edge of the broken surface, and other ornaments

as a part of decorative furniture
of church and palace stateroom

plafonds received a wide circulation in 17 - beginning of 19 centuries.

for plafond compositions of this period
typically use of effect of illusory break
in architectural in open or in proceeding

behind a ceiling space,
the image of figures
and architectural details
in strong foreshortenings.