Hey Taco

>Is this something for "Standards" or out of scope?

Russ has this idea that there are 4 pillars of web standards:
- validity
- semantics
- separation of presentation & content
- accessibility

To my mind that last one generally refers to people with disabilities &
people using dodgy hardware & software
(http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aaccessibility).

For a long time I have thought that there is a 5th element that is missing
from this list. This 5th element is addressed in good design but its not
really discussed very often in terms of web standards. I think the reason
for this is its kind of hard to put your finger on and there is no buzz word
that sums it up.

I guess what I am talking about is accessibility for you & me. Little things
that make sites easier to use for even expert users. I guess you could call
it usability but even that word has a number connotations
(http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Ausability).

Part of the reason I love the CUE site
(http://www.qld.gov.au/web/cue/overview/) is its deals with this issue in
more detail than I have seen in any one place. It calls it "consistent user
experience". But even this tag sells the idea short.

Anyway what I am talking about includes all the little things that give a
site real "polish", things like:
        - guessable/memorable URLs,
        - site structure (logical connection of content),
        - use of hyperlinks in the text,
        - googlability or search engine friendliness
        - tabbing between elements
        - font & colour use (beyond just % based fonts)
        - using http status properly*
        - lots of other stuff

Maybe you could just say that its about playing nicely in the Internet space
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/). Or maybe its about
going the extra lengths for your users.

Yes! I really think this is a vital part of web standards. I just wish I
could find a name for it.

* For example "this page has moved, please update you bookmarks, you will be
redirected in 5 seconds" is insane. HTTP 301 is the thing to use in this
case:

"10.3.2 301 Moved Permanently

The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned URIs.
Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically re-link
references to the Request-URI to one or more of the new references
returned by the server, where possible. This response is cacheable
unless indicated otherwise."

Seamless end user experience + proxies & spiders and other clients
understand what is happening.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Stanton