Thanks for all those thoughts - I'd guessed it pretty much but it's nice to have confirmation. I'll let you know what the site owners say!

(www.newstatesman.co.uk had a similar problem and were oblivious to the fact the site didn't work on anything other than their setup. I ended up emailing them the simple solution, though I'm not sure they've implemented it yet)

JB