Hi Nick,

> Ah ok... so the type must be sent in the headers before the page is
> even generated (i.e. by the web server). So how would the presence of
> charset=ISO-8859-1"
> /> or the xml prolog affect the process afterwards?
> Presumably by then
> they are too late to matter?

I believe this is the case. In fact I think this may even cause a warning on
the validator (though I haven't tested this). I know that ColdFusion 6.1
Server sends the charset utf-8 in the header by default and if you simply
put
the page the W3 validator shows a charset conflict. In this case you need to
tell ColdFusion to send the correct (non-default) charset in the header as
well. E.g. <cfcontent type="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">.

(Consult your server documentation. This is an example only, relating to a
W3C validator behaviour, yet bordering on being off topic.)

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using XHTML, I just want them to know
the whole story and that there are more issues than it seems on the surface
(and this is a very appropriate place for the discussion).

My final words on the topic as it seems to irritate people:

XHTML is not a new version of HTML. It's an entirely different beast with
different appropriate uses and requirements. Otherwise it would be called
HTML 5.0.

If you are just doing presentational mark-up, then HTML is the more
appropriate language to use and the current version is 4.01.

XHTML 1.0 Transitional will also cope with this (sent as text/html) as it
has been left open enough to be a transition between the languages, but
there is no real advantage in using it for presentational mark-up alone.
Anything more strict (1.0 Strict, 1.1 or 2.0) needs a lot more work for
valid implementation and (at the moment) some minor hacking or code forking
to get around browser mime type requirements correctly.