The reality is you can use either perecents or ems to get the same affect,
but percents seem to be the preferred option (at least below 1em):

"A word of caution concerning IE. Be careful using ems. The most recent
versions of IE for Windows tend to flummox text with a font-size less than
1em ("0.5em", for instance). Percentages tend to work more predictably, and
(for who knows what reason) are usually more accurate (possibly rounding
errors?) than their em equivalents. Please note that this applies only to
the font-size (FontSize ) and line-height (LineHeight ) properties. "

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingEms
Russ