Leslie

You (and others) may be interested in CMML via the CSIRO - http://www.annodex.net/index.html.
The Annodex technology extends the World Wide Web's hyperlinking, searching, and compositing infrastructure to time-continuous data, enabling e.g. /video surfing/, searching for clips of audio and video files using ordinary Web search engines, or on-the-fly composition of a video on a Web server from previously annodexed clips.

It's XML based so captioning could easily be in there (I haven't been able to scan the whole site). If there is enough interest in it maybe a new thread could be started.

Cheers
James

Leslie Riggs wrote:

For non-Sydney members, he has promised to write up a list of his top 50
accessibility issues. We will post this to the group.

Very exciting!
Russ

I'm very, VERY interested in reading what David has to say about accessibility with regard to the needs of blind users, so I'll be looking forward to the list. I'm always looking for something to improve upon in my work.

As a deaf user, I have had issues dealing with streaming audio/video
that does not include captioning to let me know what those people are
saying. I'd really love to be able to see the news films and other
video on the Internet, and know exactly what those people are saying.
If captions are technically impossible at this point (granted, in those
small Quicktime screens, they'd be mighty small), then at LEAST, a
transcript should be provided via a link, or something. I take this
into consideration when I work on sites that contain streaming
audio/video.

If only I could get to Sydney...but it is not to be.

Thanks for the information, Russ.

Leslie Riggs