using a CSS "for the sake of it approach" creating multi column layouts and "faffing about"

I don't look at it that way...it's quite easy to get everything to work right without tables if you're willing to put the effort in. Since mid 03 I have stopped using tables for anything other than what they're supposed to contain...tabular data. That's their purpose in the world, just like ours is to pay outrageous taxes and work our butts off for low pay (isn't it?). I've had very few issues arise since...less than the layouts before, that's for sure.

The worst thing that ever happened to the web was the idea of using tables for layout, although frames are a very close second. Accessibility should be the primary concern of every developer for the web. The web was intended to make sharing information/data/etc. simple and far-reaching.

Why a developer would make so much more work for him/her self is beyond me when there's a valid, easy, better, standardized alternative.

~MD