On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 21:19 -0400, Michael Donnermeyer wrote:
> The worst thing that ever happened to the web was the idea of using
> tables for layout...

That's a bold statement. Without designers using tables for layout, the
web would have been a boring place visually for a very long time. We're
now able to produce documents that are visually attractive, accessible
and structurally meaningful, but this just wasn't possible in the past
(without CSS, structurally meaningful documents look really plain!).

If advanced formatting had not been possible using HTML, we would be
looking at a very different web today, and it would not be an open,
accessible, semantically-conscious one. It would be Flash and Java,
Flash and Java as far as the eye can see. People want pretty.

I was happy when I was able to remove presentational tables from my
toolbox, but I was appreciative of them when they were all I had. Don't
be hatin'! They got us where we are today! :)

Cheers,

Andrew Taumoefolau