Good evening list,

My  understanding  is  that an image _always_ needs a description for
accessibility  purposes,  even  if  the  image is there for decorative
purposes and adds no important information to the page.

Now,  somebody  told  me  that,  if  the  image  is  there  purely for
decorative  purposes and adds no important information to the page, it
doesn't  need  a description and putting it in CSS as background image
makes  sense.  However, if the image needs a description, it should be
in  the  html  because  it is content. If you do put it in the css and
give a title to the div, it is wrong use of css.

Is this correct and am i wrong?

In the (odd) case i'm right, is there some spec that states that an
image always needs a description?

--
Best regards,
 Luc