I think more of a problem is that your own website –and many in your portfolio– don't really reflect the qualities that you are trying to sell to this client. If I was a web savvy procurement officer, your email would definitely spark my interest. However going to your site I would see that you don't appear to practice what you preach and would look elsewhere.

p.s. Your main nav is pretty user-unfriendly. It's not obvious that these are actually nav items. You're forcing people to guess what they do and to roll over them to reveal where they go.

Universal Head wrote:

You're right, but in my defense I didn't actually put a huge amount of thought into it because
a) I doubt any decision-makers would see it
b) since they've just 'redesigned' the site <coff> I don't think they'd be keen to spend more money
c) the job would be a *%^& nightmare ... I wrote it to tell them it doesn't work - the job pitch was just an afterthought!

Miles Tillinger wrote:

Three cheers for Web Standards evangelism! Kudos for making the effort to spread the gospel, but I don't know if I agree with the approach. Fair enough that you'd like to win the job, but the end of the email starts sounding like marketing spam. A political approach might be more effective for getting them to think about it because the last thing any government department wants to think about is more costs and they could be to short-sighted to consider the long-term gains...

E [EMAIL PROTECTED] W www.universalhead.com

***************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/ See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm for some hints on posting to the list & getting help *****************************************************