Jeez mate give me a break. Just because every site I've done doesn't get the little W3C gold star doesn't mean I'm not making professional sites. And since I've been making sites since the web started, and designing for years before that, some jobs go back ten years. They were cutting edge enough at the time.

Like every job I do, if I was commissioned to do the ACA site, I would make sure that I designed and made, or had made, a site that was appropriate for the client, their audience, and what they were trying to communicate. I might even make it viewable for Mac users, for example ...

There's a world of difference between a site for the ACA and a graphic design portfolio. If my showcase site was designed in the same way as an ACA site I would not be communicating to my audience much about my visual skills, especially since I have done and do everything from computer game 3D to corporate ID as well as websites. For example, I also do Flash work. You might just as well complain that the client who wants me to do Flash work could go to my site, find a static xhtml/css site and would therefore conclude I don't "practice what I preach". Or the computer game client finds solid flat colours and concludes I don't do 3D. Etcetera.

Personally, while I'm on this list and now largely make web standards sites with xhtml and css, I still believe there's a place for Flash, and at the moment, my portfolio is one of those places.

As for the nav, when it says 'select an icon', try rolling over an icon. It won't kill you, and you'll only lose a second or two from your day.

So phhhhtttttt! ;)
Peter
PS On my site now the Latest Work feature is the Jands.com.au site, which is pretty bloody web standard.