On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:26:25 +1000, Taco Fleur wrote:
> This list is good, but the moderators like to keep it on topic, I think
> mainly to please some of the people that work for the government, and these
> people (not specifically government people) do not know how to sort or skip
> off topic threads.

Taco,

There are basically two types of mailling lists: on-topic and open
discussion.
On-topic lists are designed to allow discussion on a particular topic
Open discussion lists are where people have more general discussions of
whatever takes their fancy.
When Peter and Russ started this list they decided that it would be an
on-topic list.
This means that we shouldnt be starting discussions on whatever we feel
like chatting about, but should only post about items related to Web
Standards.

And you dont have to like this!
You CAN do something about it.
Get access to a server running mail and start a mailing list.
- there are others, too.
Go there and start a mailing list for Interesting Discussions By People
Who Otherwise Design Websites.
Ask the admins here and they might even be happy for you to announce
that you've started it - they'll probably even subsequently tell people
who do start OT threads to go post there instead.

But until you do that - 99% of the people who have subscribed here have
done so in the hopes of discussing web standards, and no other aspects
of the internet.
Pay them the respect they deserve and bring only those discussions here.

HIH
Lea
~ not a list moderator and definitely not a government employee
--
Lea de Groot
Elysian Systems - http://elysiansystems.com/