sorry, bit late,

re my question of >> any ideas of a way to make these browsers keep the background image aligned hard left and not adversly affect anything else? (on http://smh.com.au/)

and Justins alternative ideas:

>> Alternative #1
"attach the background image to something other than the body (like #wrap)"

i wouldve - but the layout that we settled on has the left and right columns "position:absolute" for a few other reasons so when the left or right cols are longer than the centre column, the background doesnt tile all the way to the bottom of the page. tried various methods of adding a height to the #wrap but all options seemed to have a 'gotcha' :) (a bad side effect)

>> Alternative #2
"perhaps the line effect you're trying to achieve can be done some other way, negating the need for the image at all"

for reasons related to the above absolutely positioned columns, a background image was the only way to go

>> Alternative #3
"Ignore what's happening, and put a solid white background behind that left nav bar, so that when the BG image goes under, it doesn't obstruct the navigation."

bingo. actually made this change last thurs after yr email & made the bg the same colour as the nav (light grey - actually, get this, its #F2F2F2, as in, F2 is where i work :)
that degrades much better for opera and mac ie now.

thanks again Justin. thats 2 for 2 ;-)

cheers,
pete

Peter Ottery