From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of James Ellis
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2004 3:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [WSG] hiding styles from Mac IE5 : how to?

Hi all

Having some problems with a site that is crashing IE5 on the Mac (OS8 to

X). The code is moving towards HTML4 compliance with only a few
character errors, tag ends i.e ">" instead of " />"' ,  and one id clash

left to fix.

I tested the site and it works perfectly on :
IE5.5, 6 for Windows.
The Geckos (Netscape 7, Mozilla, Camino, FF)
Safari
Opera 7.0 - 7.5 on all OS's

partial  (content readable) on IE5.0 for Win.

I have borrowed an old Mac OS9 fliptop/frisbee and will do some testing
on Monday - i came across this site
http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/hiding/ while googling and am thinking of
employing this method. Given that the site is usable for <high 90's%>
of users I'm not prepared to invest the time in hacking a stylesheet so
that one browser that MS doesn't make any more is ok....with the risk of

breaking it for the above browsers. Unfortunately IE5 on OS9 is the only

browser for this OS (apart from some older Mozilla's like 1.01)

I'd rather hide styles which I know is the problem so has anyone had any

experience with the single quote @import method in the above link?. I
guess it'll hide em for NN4 as well.

If you want to have a look at the site in IE5 on the Mac I can send a
link off list.

Cheers
James