Thanks for the suggestion, Darian.  It doesn't work, but it does illustrate
precisely why I'm feeling stumped.  This seems to just pushes the top of the
sidebar down... but the adjacent paragraph continues to wrap as though it
was still there.  Here's a screenshot of that...

http://www.vancouvermassage.ca/screenshot2.jpg

How the devil can I push the top edge downwards AND have the document
content flow above as well as beside it...?  It's so easy with an img!

Paul