Peter Firminger wrote:

I totally disagree. IE (with it's problems) is the dominant browser and it's
absolutely your problem (the web developer) to make sure the site you build
for a client works on the most likely user-agent.

Didn't nay not to make the site work in IE. What I'm suggesting is
letting them know that in order to make it 100% functional in IE, that
extra work is needed. You're going to due it anyway, why no let client
know about it? Again, I'm not suggesting to increase the bill--using
standards will often lower the bill--just letting them know that if it
wasn't required to support IE 100% (not an option these days) they'd be
saving some money.

As far as non-IE extras, they should be exactly that--extra. A site need
to have a 100% lever of functionality and a 100% look in IE, but in a
compliant browser, maybe the look could be 110%? Users would only know
they were missing something if they saw the site in a compliant browser.
These are features which would otherwise not be included because IE
can't handle it, so adding them for free only improves the site without
any cost involved (beyond a few extra bytes).