In an effort to not drown the list-serv with constant replies, let me use
this single reply.

Captioning of SMIL, Magpie or the like will always be a human reviewer test.
There's no way an automated evaluator can test image presentation.  Search
engines can't do it and certainly a less costly program won't be able to.
At least not at this point.

Regrettably, the only thing automated evaluators can do is tell you where
you have fouled up (sometimes) and where you need to check (sometimes).
Like Joe Clark says, they can't tell you when you've done something right.

The only thing that can tell you when you've done something correctly is
through experience and testing.  You'll be surprised at how easy it becomes
once you learn the little tricks of the trade.

Jesse, you might be interested in "The Globe and Mail" on June 16, 2004.  I
think that's Canada's national newspaper.  There's an article about
accessible web sites, namely about YouSearched.com.

I hope this was of some help.

Sincerely,
Lee Roberts
http://www.roserockdesign.com