As stated, it is very much browser dependant. I use Firefox for daily
browsing and I like to load pages in background tabs. I was surprised
when I first noticed that switching to a tab Firefox would then fetch
CSS images ( unless cached ).

If you are really keen on the ordering of http requests by your browser
then the best method is to use a local proxy like proximitron. Of course
under Firefox you can use the "Live HTTP headers" extension which is
awesome.

Regards

Chris Blown
http://hinterlands.com.au