Hi Sage,

> When I validate my page, I get the following message
> The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (utf-8)  is
> different from the value in the <meta> element  (iso-8859-1).
> I'd like to keep the iso-8859-1 value, just because it seems to work

Your web server (eg Apache) sends the character encoding HTTP header.
In order to match up your HTTP header to your meta-equiv you would
need to make the change server-side, something you might not have
access to do.

This simplest way to match them would be changing your meta tags.

Implications? Check Anne van Kesteren's (of 10 Questions fame:
http://webstandardsgroup.org/features/anne-van-kesteren.cfm )
"Quick Guide to UTF-8"
http://annevankesteren.nl/archives/2004/06/utf-8

If you're really keen, you can find out more about specifying the
character encoding at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2

- ben