Kay Smoljak wrote:

>I was under the impression - please correct me if I'm wrong - that if
>the server is sending the character encoding, there is no need to also
>have the meta tag. Is there any other reason to include it,
>client-side?

Take a look at:
<http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/Overview.html#declaring>

<cite>
* An in-document encoding allows the document to be read correctly when not on a server. This applies not only to static documents read from disk or CD, but also dynamic documents that are saved by the reader.
* An in-document declaration of this kind helps developers, testers, or translation production managers who want to perform a visual check of a document.
</cite>

When using a xml-declaration, the encoding should go there, and not in a <meta>-tag.

/AndersN