Haven't really waded through your css, so pardon me if it's an obvious one:
have you set the parent to position:relative or absolute to force the float to use it
as a point of reference?

And your question is confusing, as there is no such beast as float:absolute
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#float-position
(but I didn't spot that in your code, so I'm assuming it's just your way of
describing the problem...)

As for using HELP REQUEST...90% of messages on this list are help requests...so
I don't think it would be that useful, personally.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk