Hi Scott

Which version of Netscape..? This is important as with Netscape 4 you are better off hiding the stylesheet. Netscape 6 is/was a dud so better off pressing for an upgrade for the < 1 % of users who use it.
If you are targeting Netscape 7 then the problem *should* (touch wood) manifest itself in the other various Gecko browsers - Mozilla, FF, Camino etc etc.

Position : relative is positioning relative to where the item is in the <span class="example">context</span> of the document flow. So If I had

.assistance .example
{
 position : relative;
  left : -10px;
  top :  - 20px;
}

would put "context" somewhere above the "is in the" ... I think. Haven't tested it but it should do that.
See 9.3.1 of the CSS 2 spec for more info.

Cheers James

Scott Reston wrote:

I'm experincing a problem that manifests only in Netscape (regardless of platform). It
looks like float:absolute is relative to the viewport, rather than the containing
parent div block.