Aha! Thank you so much, that's fixed the problem nicely. This is what happens
when you work from two different tutorials in two different files - you lose
track of what changes are going to affect something else. :)

The tabs are now behaving themselves nicely, and so is my main navigation (I think).

As far as hiding from other browsers, I was aware that it was hidden from IE/Mac
by the commented backslash (that's what the tutorial said, anyway) but is there
a more effective way of hiding it from all the browsers that we don't want to
see it?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Seona.